Willow Springs International Raceway
Willow Springs held its first race on November 23, 1953 in the Mojave high desert near Rosamond, California, and is the oldest permanent road course in the United States. The plan began as a replica of the Indianapolis oval before space constraints forced a road course; Ken Miles was among the group who planned the layout. Big Willow, the 2.5 mi (4.023 km), nine-turn main track, is unchanged from its 1953 configuration, and its high average speeds earned it the nickname “The Fastest Road in the West” almost from the outset.
The fast nine
The lap’s reputation rests on its sweepers. The lead-in to Turn 8, a long right-hand sweeper, is the fastest section of the racetrack, and the track bills the corner as the fastest turn west of the Mississippi. Turn 9, a decreasing-radius right with a dip before the apex, has caught out more drivers and riders than any other corner here. In between the straights sits the Omega (Turns 3-4): a sharp uphill left into the right-hand loop over the hilltop at The Balcony, chased by the quick Turn 5 left around a natural mound.
Desert institution
Bill Huth bought the facility in 1962 for $116,000 and grew it from 230 to 600 acres, adding the separate Streets of Willow circuit and, in 2003, the Horse Thief Mile alongside Big Willow. California declared the raceway a Point of Historical Interest in 1996, and Hollywood has kept coming back, from The Love Bug to Ford v Ferrari. In April 2025, CrossHarbor Capital Partners purchased the park with renovation plans developed with Singer Vehicle Design and Sonoma Raceway.

